Top Global Course Special Lecture by Prof. Anton Bovier (University of Bonn) will take place as follows.
- Wednesday, April 25, 2018
Tuesday, May 8, 2018
Wednesday, May 16, 2018
- April 25 & May 16: Room 552, Faculty of Science Bldg. #3
Tuesday, May 8: Room 110, RIMS
- Anton Bovier (University of Bonn)
- Statistical Mechanics, Disordered systems, and extreme values
- I will give an overview of the main results and challenges in the statistical mechanics of disordered systems and spin glasses. Some of these challenges are closely related to understanding the properties of extreme values of high-dimensional random fields. I will discuss this in the examples of the random energy model, the generalised random energy model, and branching Brownian motion. If there will be time, I may also discuss some implication on the dynamics of such systems.